Bump-Proof Your Yoga Practice
"Yoga while pregnant is safe in all stages of pregnancy and is recommended as long as you modify properly," explains certified trainer Nicole Romano Uribarri. In the videos below Nicole demonstrates yoga modifications that will help you ease the aches and pains of pregnancy and build the strength you need to carry your growing belly.
5 Yoga Poses for Pregnancy
These 5 yoga poses have been a must throughout Nicole's pregnancy and here's why:
1. Cat Cow: Relieves back pain, increases hip and pelvic mobility, and gets baby in the proper position for birthing.
2. Bird Dog: Maintains core strength and stability which can provide an increased sense of control during birth.
3. Downward Dog: Stretches the low back and the back sides of your legs as well as stimulates blood flow.
4. Wide-Legged Forward Fold: Increases range of motion and flexibility in the hip joint and prepares for an optimal birthing position.
5. Warrior II: Builds lower body strength and endurance which is necessary for the physical demand of labor.
Perform 3-5 rounds for each flowing move and hold each static pose for 3-5 breaths.
Sun Salutation Modifications
In this video Nicole demonstrates Sun Salutation modifications that build strength and flexibility in your body to help you carry your growing belly more efficiently.
In addition to modifying your yoga practice to accommodate your growing bump, you should also make sure you have workout apparel designed for your changing body. In addition to the super-soft bamboo tank Nicole is wearing in these videos, we offer a wide selection of maternity and nursing activewear for expecting and nursing moms.