Check Your NESTS, Mama
Burn out is real, mama. If you are feeling overwhelmed or exhausted or both, please know that you're not alone and remember, self-care is not selfish. Taking care of yourself is an important part of taking care of your family.
When you are running on empty, this registered psychotherapist, mama of two young children, and founder of Our Mama Village recommends checking in on your NESTS:
Check in on your NESTS
- Nutrition: Are you eating during the day? Are you getting in at least one meal that has some veggies or fruits in it?
- Exercise: Are you getting physical activity in your day? There is a lot of literature to support the connection between exercise and mental wellbeing.
- Sleep: This one is very tough for new moms, but are you sleeping? There is a HUGE correlation between anxiety, depression, anger, and sleep deprivation! If you are not able to get at least 4 hours of consecutive sleep a night, it's time to look for a postpartum doula or call on your village for help.
- Time for self: When is the last time you took time JUST FOR YOU? If you can’t remember, then it is time to schedule that in. Do something non-baby-related just for you.
- Support: Who can you talk to about how you are feeling? Know who these people are, and call on them. They want to help you, they want to see you thrive. It is OK to ask for a break, and it is OK to take that break. Good moms need support, and you are a good mom.